SEMRush is one of the most useful SEM Tool in the market today.
Let’s find out how you can use it to your advantage in this review article.
SEMrush was formed in 2008.
It started as a small group of SEO and IT specialists united by one mission — to make online competition fair and transparent, with equal opportunities for everyone.
SEMrush has grown with its repertoire of services with each passing year to help your business stay ahead of its competition. In its early years, SEMrush started with services for Domain/Keyword analytics and advance research.
Now, it has added services like SEO Magic tool, content tool, traffic analytics, lead generation tool, organic traffic insights brand monitoring tool, and many more.
SEMrush Pros & Cons:
|You start with a simple search and all the subsequent analysis are sequenced and presented intuitively.||Being a comprehensive tool it can be more expensive for those looking for a smaller subset of services.|
|Tracks and allows you to fix duplicate content in case you have multiple pages hosting the same content.||While competitor information is very useful, how can we be sure about the accuracy rates? How frequently is the data updated?|
|Provides detailed breakdowns of research data. For example, organic research. This feature provides a detailed view like a chart of the top keywords, current and previous positions of the said keywords’ ranking.||It may not be very helpful for websites that are relatively new or don’t use all the features that SEMrush can analyze.|
|It has a comprehensive bouquet of features to help you analyze every aspect of search engine marketing and help you take advantage of it.||Even SEMrush allows you to brand your report; they still let your customer know that SEMrush generates it.|
|Facilitates strategic moves based on data-driven analysis.||Currently, SEMrush looks for video ads in the US and UK regions only.|
|It requires very little training to use.|
|It is a perfect tool for power users how would like to dive into greater depths.|
|Its ability to correlate so many data points (keywords, PPC, search, social, etc.) is unparalleled.|
SEMrush is Global!
SEMrush has got around 200 specialists working in four different countries to achieve one goal – “creating the best competitive intelligence solution for all digital marketing spheres.” Do you know that it has 29 databases available for 27 regions and in 17 languages? WOW, Right?
Let’s know more about SEMrush!
So, what makes SEMrush so different? Or should we say, why SEMrush is so important for your business? Well, ONE – SEMrush is a software research suite that provides you competitive data to assist in making informed marketing and business decisions and TWO – let’s know its features that make your job a lot easier by:
- Analyzing traffic and keyword statistics of domains and URLs
- Conducting Search Engine Optimization (SEO) based on organic keywords and Pay-Per-Click (PPC) keyword research and analyzing metrics of popular search phrases
- Auditing, tracking, and monitoring the visibility and health of a domain’s digital marketing efforts
- Creating custom reports that provide you analysis outcomes and support decision making
Planning a marketing campaign of any kind is a complex task. But if you use a tool like SEMrush, you can reduce this complexity and it will also help you all in decision making. What more? The SEMrush team has built it with all the knowledge and experience in the field into making the most efficient and enjoyable service for online market specialists.
SEMrush – Three-Pronged Strategy: a sure-shot to hit the “bull’s eye”!
“Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.”
― Sun Tzu
SEMrush’s three-pronged strategy is your weapon designed intuitively to help you reach your goal i.e. “Plan the victory before you even enter the field.”
1. Analytic Reports that help you to create insights into the display advertising, organic and paid search, and link building strategies of your competitors or your own website.
2. Tools help you to cross-reference, combine and visualize data to compare your competitors’ domains that can assist you in estimating keyword difficulty to conduct competitive analysis.
3. Projects help you to launch global campaigns for your website. This can help you to gather metrics regarding its competitors, keyword rankings, and on-page health
Easy to use tool: user-friendly is the key to move forward!
SEMrush works like a breeze. This tool is highly intuitive that it has made online marketing simple and easy to use. The SEMrush team is putting all their knowledge and experience in the field of marketing into making the most efficient and enjoyable service for all the online marketing specialists out there.
Use Competitor Research: try to be in your competitor’s shoe!
If you don’t know whom you are competing with, how would you prepare for the competition? As a businessman, to make a successful and profitable business, you should study and analyze your competitors’ marketing strategies. To get behind the scene, use SEMrush to look what is and is not working for your competitors… in a very short time. Use SEMrush features, such as Search Domain to start searching for your competitors’ information.
Check the performance of your business: have an “eagle eye”!
“If you do not know where you come from, then you don’t know where you are, and if you don’t know where you are, then you don’t know where you’re going. And if you don’t know where you’re going, you’re probably going wrong.” – Terry Pratchett
Prior to any competitors’ analysis, it is a best practice to first look at how you are currently performing across Organic and Paid Search channels. So, what should be the next step? It’s simple, check the performance of your business by heading over to SEMrush. Enter your domain into the search bar.
SEMrush will provide an overview of how your domain is performing in organic and paid search. It also provides domains backlink profile and whether your domain is advertising through Google’s Display Advertising network.
Did you know that you could get search related information about any Domain?
Domain overview displays the high-level search related information about your targets.
Dive into the specifics: because this is the information that will help you get “there”!
“Clutter is symptomatic of delayed decision making.” So, if you are looking for some specific information for your analysis, SEMrush allows you to go directly to that specific report. For example, you want to understand which keywords are driving the most traffic to this specific domain and do not necessarily need the other data. Simply, click on the blue number in the box for Organic Search and SEMrush will take you directly to the Organic Research Report.
Find top organic search competitors: your measure of success!
The organic research provides a wealth of valuable information regarding a domain or URL’s organic traffic. The 5 Organic Research reports (Positions, Position Changes, Competitors, Pages, Subdomains, and URL) help to analyze you or your competitors’ websites.
Check competitors’ position: your target point!
The best feature out of 5 Organic Research reports is “Competitors report” that highlights your top organic search competitors. This report provides a quick view of where you rank in the competitive landscape in terms of the number of keywords ranking in the top 20 search results, and the amount of search traffic going to the domain.
At the top right, there is a PDF button, which enables you to export the entire report to a PDF. You can email, schedule or brand this report with a logo.
Hover over the bubble to see the exact numbers.
Click on the bubble to see a detailed report of organic keyword, Ads keyword, and much more.
Live/Historic Data because “seeing is believing”
Switch to either Live Data or Historical data to get a better understanding of your website’s overall visibility. Historical data can be useful in viewing the trends of your website as well as understand the reasoning behind a specific dip or spike in traffic at a specific point in time.
Not only your business can benefit from the above-mentioned points, but SEMrush also helps you to:
- Find the top keywords that are helping your competitors get their highest rankings.
- Discover new competitors and how they rank in the search results against the same organic keywords as you are using.
- Observe domain position changes in search results for your or your competitors.
SEMrush Advertising Research: because opportunity favours the prepared mind!
Use the Advertising Research to get an abundance of data and analytics on paid search keywords and ads ran with Google Adwords via reports on Positions, Position Changes, Competitors, Ad Copies, Ads History and URL. Run research on any domain or keyword and receive insights about traffic, CPC, competition level, and more.
How do these reports help you? They enable you to:
- Learn from your competitors by discovering information on their PPC marketing, budgets, keywords as well as the search result trends based on their marketing campaigns.
- Analyze competitor paid search results based on keywords (AdWords, Bing Ads) to discover how the keywords are doing for them.
- Discover new competitors based on paid keywords (AdWords, Bing Ads). Analyze and compare your performance with theirs.
- Localize your Ad campaigns, especially when targeting international searches with non-English speaking customers. Understand what keywords to use based on geographical region.
Analyze beforehand what Display Advertising strategies work and don’t work: looking into the future!
These reports allow you to analyze domains that advertise and publish ads online using Google AdWords and AdSense. You can view reports like overview, publishers, advertisers, top 30, and cross reports.
Use the following data via SEMrush to take informed decisions and enhance your success rates in Display Advertising!
- Find the top publishers and advertisers on whose pages you can bid to add your displays. To make it easier, SEMrush even helps in understanding of conversion rates, content relevance, etc.
- Have a competitor? Analyze their display ads and stay one step ahead of them.
- Spot new publishers who can be a good fitment for your ads.
- SEMrush doesn’t stop at finding the best publishers. You can even view how your ads look on different devices and which platforms will be most effective.
Analyze Backlinks: the online word of mouth and control them!
Word of mouth is the most effective means of Advertisement. Find all your backlinks using the Search Console integration discover and remove potentially dangerous backlinks and keep your backlink profile clean.
You can uncover the number of backlinks, referring domains, follow/no follow and top level domain distributions. You can even use it to understand where your competitors’ most valuable backlinks come from.
Did you know that a link to a website is seen as a “vote” by search engines, and communicates a signal of trust in a website? Therefore, it’s more likely that a website with 100 trusted backlinks will rank well on Google compared to a website with only 20 backlinks.
Video Advertising – reach out faster to your customers!
Did you know that YouTube videos are one of the largest bandwidth consumers amongst all domains across all geographic regions? They have more than a billion users! Video advertising is taking the content marketing by storm!
Video ads give an edge in giving more mind space with the target users. Don’t you agree? With SEMrush Video Advertising analysis and reports, you don’t need to be a seasoned professional to build profitable video ad campaigns.
Discover advertising trends; understand video advertising strategies of their competitors, and research new leads.
- Create effective video ad campaigns.
- Uncover competitor video ad strategies, like looking at YouTube channels that your competitor is promoting ads on.
- Discover the top advertisers promoting ads within the videos.
- Learn how to make money with your videos.
Keyword Research: because a keyword can make or break your business!
How will you judge the value of a keyword? Did you know that there are many online marketing experts who have rated SEMrush as No. 1 keyword research tool? Yes! It’s true. Take an advantage of SEMrush and effortlessly find all the common keywords for you and your competitors.
What even better is that it also suggests loads of new keyword opportunities your competitors are targeting but you may have overlooked! So, don’t you think it is important to deep dive and get ahead of your competition?
It is as easy as entering any keyword (a term or phrase) in the Search bar, and clicking Search. It will display the Keyword Overview report, which provides you the monthly volume for that keyword and also suggest some more valuable keywords that you can target.
Use keyword research to enable you to:
- Find the right keywords for SEO and PPC campaigns
- Gather phrase matches and related keywords to ensure successful keyword optimization
- Get long-tail keywords (i.e., a keyword phrase that has at least three, and some times as many as five words in the phrase.)
- Explore multinational and multilingual environments and adapt keywords appropriately for each region across the geography
Compare PLA data for E-Commerce sites to boost your Google shopping campaigns
Are you running an e-commerce website? If yes, then you will definitely adore Google’s product listing ads. As an e-commerce retailer, you know how effective PLAs are for attracting the attention of shoppers. The reports that can help optimize your Google Shopping campaigns, are Positions, Competitors, and Copies.
- Compare your PLA strategies and outcomes with that of your competitors.
- Get insight into your PLA competitors’ product feeds
- See your competitors’ best-performing PLAs
So, this is one of the ways to uncover your competitors’ PLA secrets!
Now that you have all that analytical data, use SEMrush Tools to help in decision-making!
Cross-reference and visualize SEMrush data to compare competitive domains and estimate keyword difficulty with a few clicks.
- Use Keyword Difficulty to find keywords with less competition and more likely to be used to get more opportunities at higher rankings
- Conduct deep, fast competitive analysis using SEMrush Big Data visualizations!
- Generate charts that identify your competitors’ and your own strength and weaknesses immediately.
- In My Reports build, manage, and share customized reports. This is most helpful if you are doing SEM for customers.
Need to track SEM initiatives? Use Projects in SEMrush to get one-page health of your business!
You can launch global campaigns for your website, which will help you to get all the necessary metrics regarding its competitors, keyword rankings, and on-page health from one place.
- Use Position Tracking to monitor your national, regional, and local search engine positions for any keywords.
- Do you want to boost the SEO-optimization of your website? If yes, use Site Audit.
- Monitor Your Brand Reputation, discover new opportunities and track backlinks
- Analyze Google ranking factors affecting your website’s performance
Like any tool, find out what SEMrush does best and where it has limitations!
SEMrush with its comprehensive set of features is a tool for those who are serious about making a success of their marketing campaigns. It is suited for those who would prioritize data driven decisions over guesswork.
The higher your marketing spends or revenue goal, the more beneficial is SEMrush in achieving those goals.
Latest posts by Chris Wagner (see all)
- Bandzoogle Review: 8 Things To Know Before You Use it! - August 15, 2018
- SiteGround vs Godaddy Comparison 2018: My Experience - August 7, 2018
- GoDaddy Review: Uptime, Features & My Recommendation - August 7, 2018