In order to get started, we will need 4 things:
- Domain – Domain is the name of the site which you type in the browser address bar. “www.HostingPill.com” is the domain of this site.
- Hosting – Hosting is the “home” of your site where it will “stay”. Its usually a server at a web hosting company.
- WordPress – WordPress is the “software” that will power your blog.
- Design & Themes – To make your site attractive design-wise you will need to install WordPress themes.
To learn about various jargons of website and webhosting, click here.
Disclosure – I receive referral fees from companies including the ones I am mentioning in this article. My recommendations are based on my experience as independent paying customer. I have reviewed most of them on my website.
There are two ways you can buy domains and hosting:
- You buy domains and hosting from the same web host
- Or you buy both separately
If you ask me, I would recommend going for Option 2 (buying separately) for two reasons:
- You get better deals when you shop domains and hosting separately.
- You reduce risk by buying it from separate companies.
Namecheap, as the name implies sells domain names for a good price, there is no need to purchase your domain and hosting from the same supplier so I have shopped around.
Now, I’m going to buy a domain, setup web hosting, install WordPress, configure WordPress and then talk about monetisation techniques.